My PET scan went well on January 2, and today I met with Dr. Martin, my oncologist, to talk about the results. Here they are:
- The PET indicated I do have cancer in a spot in my throat where my operation in March 2017 connected my stomach with my throat after they removed my esophagus.
- Fortunately there has not been aggressive growth to date and it seems to be contained.
- There is cancer nowhere else in my body, so it has not metastasized. Good news.
With a recurrence of my type of cancer after the chemo/radiation/operation I had, the treatment options become less curative. Medically, there are two possible curative treatments we started exploring as of today:
- The best option would be surgery again to take out this group of cells and try once more to eliminate the cancer. However my throat area isn’t large and it has already been operated on in 2017. So this may not be possible. My surgeon in Seattle is being consulted to know if this is even an option for me.
- The next best medical option would be radiation of the area to kill the remaining cells. After hearing from my surgeon, we’ll consult with my radiologist.
Through all of this, of course, comes the basic strategy of keeping the immune system strong. We’ve been working at that since 2014 during our visit with a Naturopath, when the cancer was first discovered. At that time we learned much about nutrition’s power in the body and how to enhance it. As a result I haven’t had a cold for five years!
So, bottom line . . . we are still in the discovery mode yet before settling into a treatment, which we now know I need.
Please pray we’ll continue to gain solid insight on our options and know what questions to ask in consultations. Emotionally the waiting for this information is a bit of a roller-coaster and the mind wants to take us to fearful places and not wait for the facts which bring reality.
Thanks for your interest and prayers for us. We’ll send updates as events unfold in this path we’re now on of ‘treatment option discovery.’
Dave and Sheri